Bibi Rogers and her son, Daniel, were on one of their kayaking weekly trips at Delray Beach when they came upon a clutter of plastic bags littering the water. Disgusted and appalled, Bibi remembered the disgusting sight for weeks and months.
No matter how aware a person is regarding the consequences of dumping plastic bags on the planet, or how well-intentioned they might be about reducing their use, Bibi would arrive at the grocery checkout without any plastic bags from home or her fashionable reusable canvas shopping bag – resulting in five or ten more plastic bags from the supermarket going into circulation. That’s when she decided to do something about it.
Bibi created an eco-friendly plastic bag carrier that can easily be attached to a handbag, backpack, shopping bag or belt loop, and named it the Ridley after one of the world’s smallest, most endangered species of sea turtle. She then developed other applications for this basic idea and founded 4U2ReUSE in September 2007 with the goal of manufacturing her bags to help others to remember to reuse their plastic bags and reduce their environmental impact.
4U2ReUSE is a sustainable enterprise. We:
- Use organic fabrics or reused materials in all of our bags
- Use 100% of our materials — is absolutely no waste
- Employ experienced sewers from Los Angeles to fabricate bags at a workshop that employs fair labor practices — we know our workers and provide them with the opportunity to make fair wages
- Store fabrics at our studio and place bulk fabric orders, decreasing the amount of shipping
- Use recycled, processed chlorine-free stationery for business cards, letterhead, and hangtags
- Ship orders in reused and recyclable materials whenever possible
To us, success is in having a positive environmental and social impact and continuing to educate others about how to live responsibly and sustainably.